Alamo RCD Senior Assistance Program
Our ARCD Senior Assistance Program helps to improve the quality of life for the elderly by helping them remain healthy and continue to be productive members of the rural communities in which they live.
Our program addresses the needs of Senior citizens in the areas of nutrition, health, fitness and wellness as we also address the detrimental effects of social isolation.
Our rural communities are aging faster than our general population. Our rural seniors were the ones that put Texas Agriculture on the map and now more than 70% of our farms and ranches are run by those over 65 years of age. Combined with the social isolation of many of the rural communities we serve and the lack of local programs for the aging, the need of Senior assistance in the areas of nutrition, socialization, and wellness in our rural service area has increased, while funding has decreased. All these circumstances have made the ARCD Senior Assistance Program very valuable to the communities we serve. .
Alamo RCD has been working directly with the local community volunteers within this program since 2003. Together, we concentrate on increasing our assistance to local Senior citizens through improved social, nutritional, and health services within our service area.
WHAT WE DO:
Our Senior Assistance Program helps to provide activities for Seniors that improve their health and wholeness within our 10 County area.
Alamo RCD Senior Assistance Program will provide:
- Enhanced nutrition through augmentation of nutrition/meals service and distributions from our food pantries.
- Improved physical health for Seniors through the facilitation of exercise classes and physical fitness programs,
- Improved health and wellness activities such as health screenings, nutritional workshops and demonstrations and Senior Health Fairs,
- Improved socialization through activities in art, music, crafts, entertainment and games and gardening programs and a recurring schedule of holiday parties and other community social events.
- Encouragement of Senior technology classes and communication classes using the web, internet and social networks, when possible.
- Capacity growth by connecting them to senior assistance programs for their clients and providing them with a plan of action to improve their programs into the future.